We Lost a Good One

Normally you say that sort of thing when someone dies. Luckily, everyone I know is breathing and seemingly in good health (let's hope, the day isn't nearly over yet).
Not to be all dramatic, but easily everyone's favorite person in the newsroom is leaving us. I can say that matter-of-factly because it's fact. Not only is she one of my best friends, but she's also my roommate or as we prefer to say "live-in, non-sexual Lesbian lover".  And until today, she was my co-worker. Because of all the things I mentioned before I'm a little biased. However, I think anyone that knows Megan Strader will tell you how special she is.

Not many people are instantly likeable. I haven't met a single person who didn't fall in love with her infectious laugh and bubbly personality. She'll have you at "hello". Or she'll have you at one of her off-putting, whacky stories about Iowa. Who knew farm country was so exciting?

That's why today is hard. Who wouldn't want to be around that every day? For most people, work is work. But there are things that can make work enjoyable. For me, it's the people I work with. If we're not making dirty jokes, we're laughing about something. You have to in the news business. When a reporter comes back from covering a trial about child abuse, listening for 8+ hours to horrid details you wouldn't think any human is capable of, you need a laugh. You need a smile. You need people who understand.

Megan's one of the good ones. She's an excellent reporter and these days, this industry can use people like her. She's moving on to much better things, but it will be sad not hearing her laughing from across the room. Because Strader's laugh, will make you laugh.

Good thing I live with the bitch or this would be like a "real" goodbye.
Proud of you, Tina!

Comments